Re: [Xen-users] pv_ops dom0 kernel and VT cpu extensions

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:29:27AM -0500, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> >>While KVM could probably do it, Xen currently can't. You might be able
> >>to get more answers about "why" and possible time line to support it
> >>(if any available) from xen-devel.
> >>

> >There was discussion about 'nested virtualization' with Xen at the
> >latest Xen Summit iirc.
> >
> >That still doesn't mean dom0 should have VT visible to it. in Xen world
> >dom0 is just a PV (paravirtualized) virtual machine guest,
> >so you can't run KVM in dom0.
> >
> >If you want to run KVM under Xen HVM guest, then that should be
> >possible when 'nested virtualization' is supported in Xen.
> >
> >-- Pasi
> >
> Thanks Pasi, that's interesting and I'll try it when it is available.
> What would be best though is if Xen just passed the VT flags so that you
> can run KVM in dom0.

There was also talks about converting dom0 to HVM guest instead of PV
guest; that might make it possible to run KVM in dom0.

Nested virtualization with Xen slides:
http://www.xen.org/files/xensummit_intel09/xensummit-nested-virt.pdf

HVM dom0 slides:
http://www.xen.org/files/xensummit_intel09/nakajima.pdf