Re: [Xen-users] Debian Repository

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 07:24:16PM -0000, Ian Tobin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So im a little confused again :)

Heh.

> So we have our  Dom0 which we need running a xenified kernel from xen.org
> (2.6.18) or a modified one from fedora.

Fedora doesn't really ship Xen dom0 capable kernels nowadays.
Fedora is waiting for pv_ops dom0 patches to get into upstream/kernel.org
Linux kernel before they start shipping Xen dom0 kernels again.

They don't want to maintain separate (xenified) patches for each kernel,
it's a lot of hard/extra work.

But Novell does exactly that for SLES and OpenSUSE. They have forward-ported
the
xenlinux/xenified patches from 2.6.18 to newer kernels.

>I was under the impression that with pv_ops we no longer need the xenified
>kernel or is this the future plan?

Jeremy's git tree has pv_ops based kernel, that has Xen dom0 support included.
These pv_ops dom0 patches are not yet included in upstream kernel.org kernels.

So if you want to run pv_ops dom0 kernel today, you need to get the kernel
from Jeremy's git tree. The vanilla/upstream/mainline kernel.org Linux doesn't
have dom0 support yet.

> If so what is the purpose of having a pv_ops domU? Is it just so we don't
> have to find a xenified kernel?

Well for a Xen guest kernel you can use the exact same kernel.org kernel you
would use on baremetal without Xen, because pv_ops domU support is included
upstream.
I think that's practical. That's where we're heading also with dom0.

> It seems to me there isn't much point if we still need the xenified dom0
> kernel.

You can use either xenified dom0 kernel, or a pv_ops dom0 kernel.
The plan is to get pv_ops dom0 patches accepted into upstream Linux in the
future.

We aren't there yet. It takes time and a lot of effort to get big
features/patches like dom0 accepted into upstream Linux.

> Hope you understand.

Hopefully it's more clear now.

-- Pasi