Re: [Xen-users] XCP - GFS - ISCSI

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: menox menox <menox.menox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:56:35 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 02:57:23 -0800

So lvmiscsi is working properly.
I had a problem with ISCSI because XCP doesn't support 4KB block size  only 512B block size .
It would be nice a graphical interface as XenCenter.
Citrix Xenserver 5.5 and XenCenter free software without HA and workload balance.
I guess XCP include this features, but without GUI at the moment.

Menox

2010/1/15 Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:56:46AM +0000, Julian Chesterfield wrote:
> Dave Scott wrote:
> >Hi Pasi,
> >
> >[cc:d Julian who is responsible for storage in XCP]
> >

> >>I haven't looked at the XCP code yet, but are there some special
> >>patches for
> >>LVM to make it work in a shared environment on multiple hosts?
> >>
> >>I guess it's not CLVM, since you support snapshots.. so xapi is doing
> >>some coordination of management commands and making sure only one LVM
> >>command is issued at a time?
> >>

> >Julian could describe the detail better than me but my high-level
> >understanding is:
> >
> >* xapi nominates one host to be the 'SR master': all LVM metadata-changing
> >commands are run here
> >
> >* all hosts are allowed to map/unmap LVs so the LVM commands were patched
> >to make absolutely sure they didn't attempt to change any metadata
> >
> >* unless you request a special "raw" LV, vhd metadata is added to the LV:
> >this is how we handle snapshots
> >
> Yep, this is correct. We use XAPI as the "Cluster lock manager"
> essentially. There is a strict notion of ordering of events, and XAPI
> always ensures that there is a single SRMaster for any shared SR. The SR
> master is the only entity that modifies LVM metadata, and it
> strategically refreshes slaves as necessary. Typically slaves only
> operate in an LVM Read-only mode, so the LVM metadata is refreshed when
> a slave needs to access a new logical volume, and the slave is only
> allowed to create device-mapper nodes, never to modify the LVM metadata.
> There are patches to LVM to add an explicit 'master' flag, this ensures
> that non-masters never attempt to repair LVM metadata if ever it is read
> and found to be inconsistent. In practice this would never happen due to
> the way LVM updates its metadata and the fact that we do not allow
> shared Volume Groups that span more than one LUN, however it's an
> important safety catch.

Thank you both for answers! This is good explanation of how it works.

> Snapshot and clone support is provided via the VHD layer that resides
> above raw Logical Volumes. i.e. we create VHD Copy-on-write instances in
> the same way as the file-based VHD support (e.g. NFS or local Ext3
> partitions).

Oh, so XenServer/XCP doesn't use LVM snapshots at all? That's good to know.

Is there some commandline tool to control the VHD snapshots?

-- Pasi