Re: [Xen-users] ntpd under Xen Dom0 exhibits extremely high jitter/noise? runs stable/quiet under non-xen kernel.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:47:47AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:23 AM, mail ignored <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Is continuing to work with/on getting RHEL/CentOS 5 kernel-xen to boot
>> > of any particular use/value to _this_ issue, given the successful
>> > build/boot on xen.git's pvops kernel (results posted above)?
>>
>> It's basically like this: The "stable", officially supported kernel
>> version for xen as of now is still 2.6.18. When you encounter possible
>> kernel-related problems, it's usually best to check if the problem is
>> present when using that kernel version. If it works, then you have one
>> quick workaorund: simply use 2.6.18 kernel. I recommended RHEL/Centos5
>> kernel since it's well maintained in terms of security fixes.
>>

> While http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg (the official dom0
> kernel for up to Xen 3.4.x) might have more xen-related fixes compared
> to RHEL/CentOS5 kernel-xen :)

correct :D

However, after spending over three hours, opensuse 11.2 and kernel
2.6.18 is simply a no-no combo :P
opensuse's udev requires newer kernel, and using kernel 2.6.18 gives
"udevd: error getting signalfd". Since udevd refuses to start, md wont
start, lvm won't start, and so on, and so on :(

--
Fajar