Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] new version available

  • To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:58:12 -0800
  • Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:59:37 -0800

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> This sounds like an interesting project but I'm not sure how it fits in the
> overall picture. Would you say it's basically Xen 3.4.2 with a bunch of
> included software or more than that? I guess what I'm wondering is why I'd move
> over from running a stock Xen 3.4.2 system
> to XCP. What advantages will I have?

XCP is really a complete system for running and managing virtual infrastructure, rather than a hypervisor and a bunch of tools. As well as xen + linux 2.6.27 it includes
* windows PV drivers
* multi-host resource pools
* pluggable storage modules (iSCSI, FC, NFS)
* live snapshot, checkpoint, migration
* DR
* XMLRPC API + CLI for configuration
* RRD-based performance monitoring
* event system and task progress tracking
* simple host-installer

However, IMHO, the most important thing is that these are all integrated and tested together, as a single coherent whole.

Cheers,
Dave

Sounds interesting. So maybe a better comparison would be to Xenserver 5.5? After having many issues with "undocumented features" in xen 3.4.1 (qcow?) I've been checking out Xenserver in the hopes that it would be more stable and have notices many of the features are similar to what you've listed. So the $64 question may be what do I get with XCP that I don't get with Xenserver 5.5?

Grant McWilliams