[Xen-users] [Xen-devel] collecting info on platforms with VT-d BIOS problems

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:59:55 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 05:00:36 -0800

Hello xen-users,

Intel guys are asking for information about systems/motherboards with buggy
BIOSes
regarding VT-d (IOMMU) support for PCI passthrough.

If Xen disables VT-d I/O virtualization on your setup because of incorrect
information
in BIOS, please post here and/or xen-devel so the Intel guys get to hear about
it and
can forward the information to the motherboard/system/BIOS vendor.

Also try updating to the latest BIOS and see if that helps and fixes the
problem.

Please check "xm dmesg" Xen hypervisor messages for VT-d status on your setup.
You might see errors like:

(XEN) [VT-D]dmar.c:498: found ACPI_DMAR_RMRR
(XEN) [VT-D]dmar.c:388: RMRR error: base_addr 0 end_address 0
(XEN) Failed to parse ACPI DMAR.  Disabling VT-d.
..
(XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled

Or

(XEN) [VT-D]dmar.c:498: found ACPI_DMAR_RMRR
(XEN) [VT-D]dmar.c:388: RMRR error: base_addr d0000000 end_address cfffffff
(XEN) Failed to parse ACPI DMAR.  Disabling VT-d.

Please include the "xm dmesg" log, and also all the information from the mail
below.
Thanks!

-- Pasi

----- Forwarded message from "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx> -----