Re: [Xen-users] amd-v -- passthrough supported?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:22:09AM -0800, 0bo0 wrote:
> hi
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM, chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > vt-d is for passthrough to hvm domains, pv should always work afaik with no
> > special cpu features...
>
> if that's true, then i'm even more unclear as to why I'm being
> referred to the VT-d spec to explain away the issues i'm seeing/having
>
> in any case, for my box
>
> reading @
>
> "HVM refactors Xen's full virtualization support into a common layer
> and defines an interface to architecture specific components. This
> enables a single Xen hypervisor to dynamically detect and support
> AMD's SVM or Intel's VT technology while providing a single uniform
> management and user interface. "
>
> and
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i svm
>   flags           :  ... svm ...

Xen requires Intel VT or AMD-V to run HVM guests. These features are found
from Intel and AMD CPUs.

IOMMU I/O virtualization (Intel VT-D, or AMD IOMMU) is different and additional
technology, allowing secure PCI passthrough to HVM guests.

IOMMU (VT-d) support is required from the chipset.

-- Pasi