Re: [Xen-users] debian lenny 3.2.1 doesn't boot, livexen boots just fine

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:11:50AM -0500, Gabor Szilagyi wrote:

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> >> Hi Martin,
> >>
> >> I am having the same problem ... ever since I installed grub2 I can not
> >> get xen to boot. I was told it is possible but yet to see someone
> >> writing it down how. Tried the "new" syntax, put dummy=dummy as first
> >> cmd line argument, even compiled the root=/... in the kernel nothing works.
> >>
> >> I just get Panic on CPU 0 ... and stuck dump.
> >>

> > Please see:
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems
> >
> > section:
> > "Booting Xen with GRUB2 fails?"
>
> Thanks for the tip ... I tried all those no change :
>
> here what I have currently in gurb.cfg both recommendation is use the
> file name twice and use dummy=dummy

No, you don't use both of them.

The problem is that grub2 destroys the *first* parameter,
so if you add the filename twice, that already is the extra
first parameter, so no need for dummy anymore.

Or then don't add the filename, but use dummy.
You just need *one* extra parameter there, as the first parameter.

See the working example from here:
http://old.nabble.com/Strange-interaction-from-grub2-and-XEN-td26464067.html

> I am trying both the newest patched kernel and the stuck kernel coming
> with 3.4.2 source ... both compile without error (I pretty sure I got
> the config right for xen). Actually I can boot the 2.6.31.6-xen-2 on
> bare metal (strangely not the 2.6.18.8 !!)

xenlinux kernels (2.6.18.8) don't support running as baremetal.
pv_ops Xen kernel do support that.

> But got the same error ... so I strongly believe that the xen-3.4.2.gz
> part crashes already with grub2 ..
>
> I tried several other combination from grub> prompt pretty much the same
>  CPU 0 panic and the numbers after (sometime sligthly different dump )

We really need to see the full console output to say what's wrong.

-- Pasi