Re: [Xen-users] Issues with Xen and iptables

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Rainer Sokoll <rainer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So my question is: are there issues with netfilter and Xen (in my case,
> still 3.1)?
>
> Any hint is appreciated,

I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve (why are you
using NAT over  vpn?), but here are some general pointers:
- the best practice is to run as little service as possible on dom0. I
usually use a dedicated domU if I need a router/firewall.
- having dom0 as firewall can be a little complicated (although
possible) when you use the default bridged setup due to device name
changes. I usually use OS networking scripts to create bridges. Also
be careful about filtering bridged traffic.
- looking at your SNAT example, it might be easier to simply use
MASQUARADE. For example, this is what network-manager does when you
create an ad-hoc wireless network: /sbin/iptables --table nat --insert
POSTROUTING --source 10.42.43.0/255.255.255.0 --destination !
10.42.43.0/255.255.255.0 --jump MASQUERADE
- openvpn works just fine on dom0 or domU. Same setup (choice of
tun/tap, bridge setup, etc.) that you'd do on a normal box.

--
Fajar