Re: [Xen-users] set static ip in config file

  • To: ma qiang <maqiang1984@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 00:37:14 -0800
  • Cc: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 00:39:27 -0800

Best Wishes
Qiang Ma

> Short answer: that's the way it works.
> There are cases when setting IP in domU config file can be used (for
> example when deploying custom bridge+iptables script), but that's
> kinda complicated. The short version is that using the default setup
> the setting is not used and has no effect on actual domU IP address.
>
> --
> Fajar

In addition to that the CentOS kernel is not compiled with CONFIG_IP_PNP so having a DomU with
the ip set in the config file will never work. It will if you recompile the kernel or use a different OS like Debian in the DomU.
The CentOS kernel does pay attention to the MAC address assigned in the DomU config file though so you
can set up a DHCP server with that MAC in it and it will assign the IP you want.

Grant McWilliams