Re: [Xen-users] AsteriskNOW on Xen Choppiness

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:44:23 +0000 (GMT)
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:44:59 -0800

I'll Reply to both Ian and Ben....

> Ian Tobin said the following:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just curious, are you using this for IP related calls only, no analogue etc?

Just IP, but I did use an X100p clone with PCI-passthrough. When the car dis
not present, it is saying that it is using the dummy timer. When in and passed
through, it recognises it and configures it.

> If you are using Zaptel hardware for an analogue line (ie a TDM400 or similar
> card) you will not get the interrupt performance required for reasonable call
> quality.  I fought this long and hard a couple years ago.  There is a
> utility, I
> forget its name off-hand, that will test the interrupt performance for the
> Zaptel hardware.  voip-info.org should have information on it.

Although the zt hardware was present for timing purposes, no calls went over it
though. I will abandon my plans to use a domU with a TDMA clone, using
passthrough.

> If you are in a pure voip situation, where all call traffic is handled over
> the
> network and not with hardware interfaces, you should be able to use a DomU
> without much difficulty.  The one gotcha is that you will need to use the
> dummy
> Zaptel timing device for conference calling and music on hold to work
> properly.

Fine for me, but my brother's setup needs hardware, so will probably go
bare-metal for that. Ho hum

Thanks for the previous replies,

Ian