Re: [Xen-users] AsteriskNOW on Xen Choppiness

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: francisco javier funes nieto <esencia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 23:13:37 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:14:18 -0800

Hi,

I've a 'very stable' domU (PV) working with Asterisk + FreePBX + 2BRI
Digium Clone Card (PCi-E)  in a Xen 3.4.2 from sources with Debian
Lenny 2.6.26 for dom0/domU and pci-passthrough (uf!)

The system works well for two months and seems very stable with
medium-full load. It's based in a very cheap motherboard from ASUS and
an AMD x2 processor.

J.

2010/2/5 Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'll Reply to both Ian and Ben....
>

>> Ian Tobin said the following:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just curious, are you using this for IP related calls only, no analogue
>> > etc?
>> >

> Just IP, but I did use an X100p clone with PCI-passthrough. When the car dis
> not present, it is saying that it is using the dummy timer. When in and
> passed through, it recognises it and configures it.
>

>> If you are using Zaptel hardware for an analogue line (ie a TDM400 or similar
>> card) you will not get the interrupt performance required for reasonable call
>> quality.  I fought this long and hard a couple years ago.  There is a
>> utility, I
>> forget its name off-hand, that will test the interrupt performance for the
>> Zaptel hardware.  voip-info.org should have information on it.
>
> Although the zt hardware was present for timing purposes, no calls went over
> it though. I will abandon my plans to use a domU with a TDMA clone, using
> passthrough.
>

>> If you are in a pure voip situation, where all call traffic is handled over
>> the
>> network and not with hardware interfaces, you should be able to use a DomU
>> without much difficulty.  The one gotcha is that you will need to use the
>> dummy
>> Zaptel timing device for conference calling and music on hold to work
>> properly.
>
> Fine for me, but my brother's setup needs hardware, so will probably go
> bare-metal for that. Ho hum
>
> Thanks for the previous replies,
>
> Ian

Francisco Javier Funes Nieto [esencia@xxxxxxxxx]