Re: [Xen-users] slow network with gplpv drivers in vlan setup

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Matthieu Patou
<mat+Informatique.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I faced quite a long time ago a problem on some of my servers:

>> This might not be directly related, but I used 0.11.0.188 yesterday
>> for an XP domU, RHEL's xen (3.1.2). While copying files, the
>> performance was dreadfully slow. MUCH slower than QEMU. A bit
>> puzzling, since on another system I have a similar setup, but with
>> Gitco's Xen 3.4.1.
>>
>> Uninstalled that GPLPV version, and install 0.10.0.142. What do you
>> know, they worked great :D Haven't got time to find out what exactly
>> is wrong though. So if you still have problems, you might want to try
>> that too.
>>

> The thing is that I remember having this problem since 0.9.xx so it's a
> constant problem.

You didn't mention what hardware/Xen version you use.
As James mentioned, the problem might be related to network cards.
Turning off Large Send might solve your problem (at the cost of extra
settings effort, and possible higher CPU usage).

However, from my experince with RHEL and tg3, sometimes driver and
firmware version matters as well. So if you have time, I suggest:
- check server manufacturer's website to see if they have a newer firmware
- update your OS, or change to known-good OS. On some systems I use
RHEL5 with Gitco's updated Xen RPM, which works great with vlans and
even bonding.

--
Fajar