[Xen-users] Memory Allocation

I was hoping someone could help me understand how the memory is allocated in XEN. I have 147GB of ram in each server but doing the math of what we should be able to achieve for VM’s and what we actually get is a different story. All of our VM’S are Windows based and assigned 512 MB  with the ability to go up to 1024 MB. I do have memory ballooning turned but not allocating a fixed amount of ram to the DOMU on the bootloader. I seem to be maxing out at 39 to 40 machines and then performance is horrible and it appears I may be out of ram. So I was hoping someone could explain how memory works  and where it is allocated out so I can better understand where it is going and fix my math or at least point me to document that explains memory allocation.

Thanks in advance  Joe