RE: [Xen-users] Xen Cloud questions

  • To: 'Olivier LAMBERT' <lambert.olivier@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:35:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:37:07 -0800

Hi Olivier,

> I'm using Xen 3.4 on Debian Lenny, and a web interface (still in dev),
> to have a eye on all the stuff.
> I saw the Xen Cloud project, but I have some questions about it.
>
> Can I summarize Xen Cloud like this : "latest" Xen Hypervisor with

XCP is using xen 3.4.2 atm. It'll take a little bit of time to update to xen
4.0.

> "improved" API (OCaml replacing python and more stuff) which enhance
> informations about all Xen hypervisors in same time, to provide a
> simple way to watch this. Am I right ?

Yes.

> Second question : where can I find documentation about the API, like
> the pdf in this page : http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenApi, but
> for the new one.

http://www.xen.org/files/XenCloud/ocamldoc/apidoc.html

If you're interested there's also a link on that page for "Code docs" too.

> Third question : does my current project of web interface
> (http://xen-orchestra.com) is still relevant for Xen Cloud ? API
> binding are similar ?

Yes I think it is still relevant-- XCP gives you a very capable "backend" but
it doesn't include a "frontend". I'm also intrigued by some of your features :)
Can you explain what 'Intelligent Space Occupation System', 'First Load Ready',
'Conductor' and 'EcoPool' are?

> And last : when did you think using Xen Cloud is more useful than
> "simple" Xen, or reverse the question : is still useful to have a
> "simple" multiple Xen hosts in a network or Xen Cloud is a must have ?

Xen Cloud is supposed to be a very easy to install "virtualization platform in
a box". It's a complete, coherent system where all the bits are tested
together. It's also got a bunch of extra toolstack features such as: support or
multi-host resource pools; role-based access control; heterogeneous storage
support etc. Personally I'd consider it a "must have" but I'm definitely biased
:-)

Cheers,
Dave