Re: [Xen-users] Comparison of network device models for HVM?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Martin TrÃster <TroyMcClure@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:36:34 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 07:38:09 -0800

Pasi,

> I just wrote a chapter to wiki about this:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems
>
> Let me know what to add, if you have comments.
thanks, I think that's a good start. What I am still missing there is the e100
chipset, though - at least in Xen 3.2.x which I am still using, it is seems to
be a supported chipset. Has it been dropped in favor of the e1000 emulation
with 3.4? If I see the qemu-dm list of device models, it is even longer, but I
don't know if all of them exist in Xen's qemu-dm as well.

In addition, it would be really helpful for the user to get more details on the
performance per chipset. I don't know if it has to be in that guide, but it
should be written down somewhere. How else do you pick the "right" chipset if
you have the support for various of the chipsets in your guest OS?

In addition, is there any detailed comparison of paravirtualized networking
drivers vs. qemu-dm drivers? I found some details about it in some of the Xen
Summit charts, but that was probably work in progress. Is there any "official"
of the released versions?

Maybe I am just not searching with the correct terms, so if those articles or
documentation exists, a link with further reading material will be fine.

Thanks!

Regards,
Martin