RE: [Xen-users] XCP vs XenServer (free edition) or is it XCP mature enough?

  • To: "'Angel L. Mateo'" <amateo@xxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:38:52 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:40:13 -0800

>       I am a system manager of a datacenter. Is this moment, we about 30-40
> xen servers running 2 or 3 domUs each of them. We are now using
> (standalone) xen over debian lenny. We manage each xen server
> independently, but we are looking for a central management console.

>       At this moment, I have the doubt about using citrix xenserver (the free
> edition) or XCP. I didn't know much about XCP until a couple of weeks,
> but I've been testing it and it seems to offer almost anything you have
> with xenserver. Its only lacks compared with xenserver is the graphical
> console (it's not a real problem for me) and access to the VM console
> (although I haven't tried yet, it seems that there are solutions to
> access to the consoles), so I'm thinking about using XCP instead of
> XenServer.

>       But, my main reservation is the mature of XCP. Is it mature enough to
> be used in a production environment? What is your opinion?

Angel:

XCP is taken directly from the XenServer code base with the removal of the
source code for the Microsoft drivers as well as the binaries for the XenCenter
management solution that runs on Windows. The products are identical beyond
that. The only real issue in terms of production is that XCP will always be
ahead of the XenServer product as Citrix and other companies use XCP as a place
to trial new features before they are released in a stable "production" /
"supported" product. It really depends on the level of support you need and if
you want to be the first kid on the block with the new product.

Stephen Spector