Re: [Xen-users] Free Xen Server 5.5 - Any thoughts? Migration?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:39:09AM -0000, Robert Dunkley wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We currently run Xen 3.30 on Centos 5.2. We have a mix of Windows VMs
> with the GPLPV drivers, Centos HVMs and Centos paravirt VMs. Using
> Infiniband/OFED and DRBD too (These both seem to be possible to compile
> and use on Xen Server 5.5).
>
> Sorry for so many questions:
> Is it likely I can use the existing VMs under Xen Server?

With some conversion work, yes.

> I noticed the "Free" license has a 1 year expiry, is it likely to change
> to being non-free?

No idea.. you could also use XCP, which doesn't have licensing limitations
since it's fully opensource.

> Does Xen Center offer live migration?

Yes.

> Can I still use the xm live migration command?

No, XenServer (and XCP) doesn't have xm tools.
They have a completely different management toolstack and api called 'xapi',
which has 'xe' cmdline tool for management.

> If I upgrade Xenserver later on do I need to recompile DRBD and OFED (Do
> upgrades always involve a kernel change?)

Yeah.. using out-of-distribution stuff is always more painful.

You could try working with the XCP developers to get DRBD and OFED integrated
into
the product..

-- Pasi