RE: [Xen-users] How to: Improve Network Throughput of a XEN kernel?

Yes, thank you Boris for pointing that out. I found that was defiantly true. The 3.2.1 xen hypervisor could only boot the 2.6.26-2 xen kernel and the xenified 2.6.31.12.

Additionally I found that:

Xend does not start when using pv_ops dom0 kernel?

In December 2009 pv_ops dom0 kernel modules were renamed to have a "xen-" prefix in them, ie. "evtchn.ko" became "xen-evtchn.ko".

This makes Xen 3.4.x xend fail to start, because it tried to load "evtchn.ko", but that doesn't exist. You need to load "xen-evtchn.ko" and then start xend. Fedora 12 xen-3.4.2-2 rpms have this problem fixed.

Also make sure you have xenfs mounted to "/proc/xen", that's needed aswell.

[Source: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps]

And it appears the Debian xen-3.4.2-2 debs (in squeeze) have not fixed this problem.

Lastly I am still doing some reading on the grub2 package and how to configure it. It turns out that I have been using grub-legacy (or just good old grub) for so long that configuring the grub2 boot loader is turning out to be my own personal kryptonite.

I am still working on getting the hypervisor to load the dom0 kernel in a Ubuntu system.

I have noticed an example in your wordpress @ Set up Xen 3.4.3-rc2 & Libvirt 0.7.0 Dom0 (with 2.6.31.8 xenified aka Suse kernel) on top of Ubuntu 9.10 Server

With CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sdb11 ro console=tty0"

menuentry "Xen 3.4 / Ubuntu 9.10 kernel 2.6.31.8 xenified" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd1,10)
multiboot (hd1,10)/xen-3.4.gz
module (hd1,10)/vmlinuz-2.6.31.8
module (hd1,10)/initrd-2.6.31.8.img
}

I am sure you wouldn't of mentioned the CONFIG_CMDLINE kernel option is it was not important for using with grub2 right? I have not have to compile a kernel with the command line previous as I was just able to supply the arguments on the kernel line of my menu.lst (grub configuration file).

P.S: What is your feeling on using a recent Ubuntu system with grub-legacy as the boot loader? I noticed that Squeeze has adopted grub2 package as well too...

-M