Re: [Xen-users] xend-config.sxp setting question & vlans

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:07:36AM -0500, Mike Viau wrote:
>    > Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:13:08 +0700
>    > Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xend-config.sxp setting question & vlans
>    > From: fajar@xxxxxxxxx
>    > To: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    > CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>    >
>    > On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>    > > Hello,
>    > >
>    > > I have a question for the xenners using 1st method of having VMs using
>    VLAN
>    > > interfaces with XEN. [http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking]
>    > >
>    > > I've setup my /etc/network/interfaces file with bridge enteries like
>    in the
>    > > example:
>    > >
>    > > iface xen-br293 inet manual
>    > >     up vconfig add eth0 293
>    > >     up /etc/xen/scripts/network start netdev=eth0.293 bridge=xen-br293
>    > > antispoof=no
>    >
>    > Why?
>    >
>    > IMHO you should use only one, not both. So either:
>    > - have xen's networking script create the bridges, or
>    > - create the bridges manually, and comment-out xen's networking script
>    > on xend-config.sxp. This is what I prefer to use on complex setup.
>    >

>    I am comfortable with creating the bridges manually and commenting-out
>    xen's networking script on xend-config.sxp as Pasi pointed out in another
>    thread.
>
>    Could someone provide a working example of debian /etc/network/interface
>    file where a vlan is bridged for use with xen DomUs?
>
>    To be honest, I don't think the 1st method of having VMs using VLAN
>    interfaces with XEN works with with my Debain Lenny (and possibly other)
>    setup. I was just trying to follow the wiki as it was written.
>
>    However I quickly discovered that the above iface xen-br293 inet manual
>    entry does not work, because when one tries to bring up xen-br293 one
>    gets:
>
>    xen-br293: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>
>    I believe this may be do to the fact that the xen-br# devices are not
>    known by the udev system and thus the iface entries are just ignored.
>    Regardless I think the wiki should demonstrate how to use xen's networking
>    script create the bridges, or how to create the bridges manually (in
>    /etc/network/interface or other method(s)) while comment-out xen's
>    networking script on xend-config.sxp like Fajar suggested.

Creating the bridges using distro network scripts is obviously distro specific
task.
I can't remember how to do that in debian /etc/network/interfaces.

In rhel/centos/fedora I do them like this:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-brvlanXY
DEVICE=brvlanXY
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Bridge

and then it's just a matter of 'ifup brvlanXY'.

In the /etc/xen/<guest> configuration file remember
to specify "bridge=brvlanXY" for the vif.

Someone feel free to edit the wiki :)

-- Pasi