RE: [Xen-users] xend-config.sxp setting question & vlans

> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:13:08 +0700
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xend-config.sxp setting question & vlans
> From: fajar@xxxxxxxxx
> To: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question for the xenners using 1st method of having VMs using VLAN
> > interfaces with XEN. [http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking]
> >
> > I've setup my /etc/network/interfaces file with bridge enteries like in the
> > example:
> >
> > iface xen-br293 inet manual
> >     up vconfig add eth0 293
> >     up /etc/xen/scripts/network start netdev=eth0.293 bridge=xen-br293
> > antispoof=no
>
> Why?
>
> IMHO you should use only one, not both. So either:
> - have xen's networking script create the bridges, or
> - create the bridges manually, and comment-out xen's networking script
> on xend-config.sxp. This is what I prefer to use on complex setup.

I am comfortable with creating the bridges manually and commenting-out xen's networking script on xend-config.sxp as Pasi pointed out in another thread.

Could someone provide a working example of debian /etc/network/interface file where a vlan is bridged for use with xen DomUs?

To be honest, I don't think the 1st method of having VMs using VLAN interfaces with XEN works with with my Debain Lenny (and possibly other) setup. I was just trying to follow the wiki as it was written.

However I quickly discovered that the above iface xen-br293 inet manual entry does not work, because when one tries to bring up xen-br293 one gets:

xen-br293: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

I believe this may be do to the fact that the xen-br# devices are not known by the udev system and thus the iface entries are just ignored. Regardless I think the wiki should demonstrate how to use xen's networking script create the bridges, or how to create the bridges manually (in /etc/network/interface or other method(s)) while comment-out xen's networking script on xend-config.sxp like Fajar suggested.