RE: [Xen-users] Install xen from sources or apt-get ?

Boris Derzhavets wrote:

Sorry for stupid question . On Ubuntu 9.10 Server i do:-

^ Not a stupid question, I'd be happy to clarify ^

> 1) install package linux-source

^ I tend to download kernel source from kernel.org ^

> 2) apply xen patches
> 3) make menuconfig (configure kernel)

    #  make -j4

> 4) install package kernel-package

^ meaning install --> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/kernel-package ^

   #  make modules_install install

^ These make targets are not required if the kernel deb files are going to be installed instead ^

   #   mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd-2.6.31.8.img 2.6.31.8

^ Not required when --initrd option used with make-kpkg ^

    Kernel installed

> 5) run make-kpkg

^ With a command like:
CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom-xen kernel_image kernel_headers kernel_source ^

What means 4 & 5 in details ?

Boris.