[Xen-users] Just some (probably useless) information

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:37:34 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:38:41 -0700

I did a very non scientific test for speeds of backing up disk/file
images to disk/file backups

I used lvm for both the disk based and to put the files onto during
the test. I used four 640gig sata 3.0gbps drives in a raid 10. There
was 2083 megabytes used on the filesystem, a windows xp install.

dd disk -> disk = 36 minutes

ntfsclone disk -> disk = 4 minutes

ntfsclone disk -> file = 2 minutes

cp file -> file = 11 seconds

So now I am left with the question of do I use file based images which
will have slower performance but super fast backup times, or go with a
lvm -> disk/file for the backup.

My particular use case will be a user gets a 20 gig drive for xp,
their it guy will do manual image backup creation. If they blow up
their windows box we will have a "click click" ok now they are running
againback up using the backup disk/file image. If I use all disk based
images then I will have to also create a file backup of the backup
disk for my remote backup box to save in case the host dies.