[Xen-users] VLAN in a Pool

I have a pool with two xen servers connected to the same switch.  At the pool level I have created an external network named VLAN3 with a tag id of 3.  I have two Windows XP guest VMs running one on each host. I have attached both VMs to VLAN3 on each server.  The problem is that both VMs cannot see each other over this VLAN.  If  I move both to one host server, then they do see each other.

Why can’t the VLAN span across a pool of servers.  Do I need some special switch that can handle vlan tagged traffic?  I just have an old 10/100 NetGear ProSafe 16 (FS-116) switch.

If my switch is capable of tagged traffic will the vlan work across the pool?