Re: [Xen-users] snapshots on xen

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 04:40:27PM +0200, Thomas Halinka wrote:
> Hi again,

> > > consistent means, that all buffer-caches and IO-queues were
> > > written/flushed to disks
> > >

> > That requires coordination with the guest OS. It cannot be done
> > only from the hypervisor/dom0.
> >
> > Doing the snapshot only from dom0 without any coordination with the guest
> > is called 'crash consistent' snapshot. It's roughly the same as if you
> > pulled the power plug from a physical computer.
> >
> > You'll get fsck when you restore that kind of snapshot and start the guest.
> > And some applications might be in a bad state.

> > > Yeah, but i understood, that xen 4.0 implemented "some magic" around
> > > this topic.
> > >

> > Xen 4.0 has better tools for doing the dom0/hypervisor side of it,
> > but you still need to do the guest OS side yourself,
> > or by using some scripts together with the Xen tools.
>
> are there any examples for such triggering from within xen tools?

Well.. usually you'd write your own script, which does the magic,
and uses xen tools as a part of the script.

> > > The XEN-Datasheet (http://www.xen.org/files/Xen_4_0_Datasheet.pdf) says:

> > > Blktap2
> > > A new virtual hard disk (VHD)
> > > implementation delivers high
> > > performance VM snapshots and
> > > cloning features as well as the
> > > ability to do live virtual disk
> > > snapshots without stopping a VM
> > > process.
> > >
> > > So i thought it just works, eg through some kernel-hacking in pvops, or
> > > whatever.
> > >

> > Yeah well.. like said, that's only the hypervisor/dom0 bits of it.
> > Remember Xen 4.0 is just the core hypervisor, like an engine for a car.
> >
> > XCP implements the 'other' needed bits (vm-snapshot-with-quiesce)
> > through Citrix Windows PV drivers.
>
> is something equal planned for OS-XEN, too? Something on the road-map or
> some outstanding projects?

Not that I know of.

I've been thinking of starting a "VSS for Linux" project for a long time,
just too busy with everything to actually do it right now :(

That's something we would really much need..

-- Pasi