Re: [Xen-users] XenSerialConsole help + GRUB2 (Machine locks up on boot)

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:55:49AM -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

>    > > > Can you please paste the full boot messages before it locks up?
>    > > >
>    > > >
>    > >
>    > > Unfortunately no, because I am not getting any output (kernel
>    messages) to
>    > > the terminal on the other machine listening. I attached a photo of
>    what I
>    > > see on the screen when console=com1,vga.
>    > >
>    >
>    > So do you see the Xen hypervisor boot messages at least?
>    >
>    >

>    Nothing in fact.

Please paste your grub.conf again.

>    > > > >
>    > > > > Motherboard:
>    > > > >
>    > >

> [4]http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP55WG/DP55WG-overview.htm
>    > > > > [5]http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=40078
>    > > > >
>    > > > > Add-in serial card:
>    > > > > "Cables Unlimited IOC-2200 2-Port DB9 Serial PCI I/O Card"
>    > > > >
>    > >

> [6](http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1431863&CatId=1422)
>    > > > >
>    > > >
>    > > > Does the serial console work with plain baremetal Linux? (without
>    Xen).
>    > > >
>    > > >
>    > >
>    > > No it does not. I started a thread over on the Debian mailing-list for
>    > > this though to see if anyone there had any ideas. I have got no
>    replies as
>    > > of yet.
>    > >
>    > > Mainly I was asking if one needed to build the mcs9865-serial.ko
>    (kernel
>    > > module) against the kernel source for the running kernel in order to
>    log
>    > > kernel message during boot time or does grub implement a generic
>    driver to
>    > > capture the kernel message?
>    > >
>    >
>    > Uhm.. are you saying this serial-card requires some non-standard driver?
>    > Then it probably can't be used as a serial console.
>    >

>    I was hoping this was not the case. The Linux kernel includes drivers for
>    serial port devices does it not? Can anyone confirm if the Moschip MCS9865
>    is or is not supported by the Linux kernel?
>
>    Can I try using a generic driver with this card that is already built into
>    the Linux kernel?

Yeah, sure, try it.
I don't know more about the serial card you have.

>    > The PCI serial-card needs to show up as a 'real' serial port, so that
>    > Xen can output there boot time (before any drivers are loaded in dom0
>    kernel).
>    >

>    How does one determine if it is real serial port or not. No /dev/ttyS[?]
>    devices are created in the filesystem and there is nothing in the dmesg
>    out for these serial ports either. The PCI add-in card was advertised to
>    be Linux compatible.

Real serial ports are available without any drivers, at boot time before Linux
is loaded.
Xen needs to log to the serial port before _any_ drivers are loaded, even
before dom0 Linux is loaded.

It's the same with USB-serial-adapters.. you can't use those for serial console
because they don't work before the driver is loaded.

But yeah.. good luck!

-- Pasi