Re: [Xen-users] P2V question

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking at virtualizing a few CentOS 5.4 and Fedora 11 servers (all
> 64-bit) here at work onto a brand new shiny Xen 3.4.2 CentOS 5.4 machine. To
> move the physical machine to a virtual machine should it be as easy as
> 1. Setup the LVM LV to house the disk on the xen server
> 2. Boot the physical machine from a live/rescue cd and use dd to copy the
> disk over to the LV on the xen machine.
> 3. Mount the LV and change the grub.conf, fstab, and update the kernel to one
> that will do paravirt
> 4. Setup the guest.xml file and boot
>
> This will be the first time I have attempted this kind of migration, but it
> seems pretty straightforward. I would appreciate any and all pointers on this
> subject. Thanks in advance!

For centos, dd-ing the disk (not the partition) would probably give
you a working HVM domU, assuming you use labels or LVM path.
To get it working as PV domU, you need a different kernel
(kernel-xen), initrd, and some config adjustments to get it to
recognize the console. See http://pastebin.com/f6a5022bf

--
Fajar