Re: [Xen-users] LVM's inside of Domu's

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Back when I started messing with Xen (a year or so ago), I read where it was
> not good to have a domu setup with LVM inside of it if the storage on the
> Dom0 was LVM also.

"not good" is relative. RedHat would say its benefit outweights its drawbacks.

> Basically this would be a nested LVM situation or similar. However, I find
> myself installing more and more CentOS domu's since my Dom0 machine has to be
> CentOS to use the dell OMSA stuff for monitoring and all. This is not an
> issue, other than by default CentOS uses LVM and I have to manually edit the
> partition table of the domu.
>

> Is there any benefit/drawback to having/not having LVM domu's? Here are a few
> I can think of off the top of my head:
>
> Good reason to have LVM in domu:
> internal snapshot feature
> "plug and play" with a centos system (no manually editing the partition table
> on install)

You could always put non-LVM partition layout (as well as package
selection and other stuffs) on a kickstart file, so no "manually
editing the partition table" would be necessary.

> Possible drawbacks to having LVM in domu:
> cannot mount /dev/foo/lv from dom0

you could, if the VG on dom0 have different name from domU.

> and see filesystem
> possible slowdown?

If you have RHN subscription you might be able to ask them what the
performance penalty given by LVM is. AFAIK is negligible.

--
Fajar