RE: [Xen-users] XCP - how to connect to a VMs console

> This has probably been asked a million times.

:)

It's much harder than it needs to be. There's even a proposed Google summer of
code project to make it simpler!

> I just installed the XCP iso image and it booted up fine.  I followed
> the Virtual Machine (pdf chapter 4) and setup a Debian Lenny vm using
> ftp.us.debian.com
>   as the repository.
>
> All goes well, the machine is "running".  The next step says:  Connect
> to console.
>
> Just how do you do that?  All the VM install steps just say...connect
> or VNC... How in the heck do you do this?
>
> With xen, I would do a "xm console #" and then it would go right to
> the console.  This doesn't appear to be the case for the XCP iso.
> This is not well-documented.

You have several options:
1. install openxencenter on your workstation and point it at your XCP box
2. install xvp (www.xvpsource.org)
3. use the builtin web interface
4. use /usr/lib/xen/bin/xenconsole

For (3) there's a minor screwup in the 0.1.1 XCP dom0 filesystem. You can
correct it by:
 mv /opt/xensource/www /opt/xensource/www.backup
 mv /opt/xensource/debug/www /opt/xensource/www
After that you can point your web-browser at your XCP's management IP address,
login, select consoles and see consoles via the Java viewer.

For (4) [this is a bit of a hack] use 'list_domains' to find the domid of your
debian lenny, use 'ps axf' to find the 'vncterm' process which is serving the
console, kill the vncterm process and then use:
 /usr/lib/xen/bin/xenconsole <domid>

Cheers,
Dave