[Xen-users] Automate installation of VM images

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Thawan Kooburat <kthawan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:17:50 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:19:28 -0700

Hi,

I want to know if there is a tool that automate the installation of
various Linux distributions into VM images. My goal is to be able to
create VM on-demand for each software building and testing job.

This does not have to be specific to Xen because I should be able to
use qemu-img to covert between various image types.

I found that there are 2 main approaches of  this kind of work.
1. Use Kickstart or Preseeding to automate OS installation in VM.
2. Use yum or debootstrap to install OS into mounted VM image.
However, this method requires some work to make image bootable and run
properly.

>From what I found, the second approach might be a lot faster in terms
of image creation time and Xen-tools seems to fall into this category
as well. However, current list of supported distribution of Xen-tools
is quite limited (Only CentOS4 for RPM-based)

Is there other alternatives?

--
Thawan Kooburat

Graduate Student