[Xen-users] Moving away from XenServer - need some advise on networking please

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Colin Yates <colin.yates@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:59:36 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 05:02:27 -0700

Hi,

I currently have 4 physical machines served off a SAN configured in XenServer.

I am considering moving as XenServer is just a little bit too restrictive - love Xen, just not XenServer.

Each host has 4 1GB NICs - two which are bonded to the external network, and 2 which are bonded
to the SAN. I also have a single VM which runs vyatta which serves as the firewall and gateway.

This cluster actually runs 6 different VLANs (i.e. a testing environment, a production environment etc.) and these VLANs are spread out across the hosts, so nodes on different hosts can communicate with each other.

The VLANs are also interconnected, so I have one 'infrastructure' VLAN which all the other VLANs are connected to.

My question is, is this possible using 'plain' Xen, and how hard is it? I don't mind which version of Xen or which distro.  Preferably a point and click would be good (as this is a part-time role and I don't quite get all the internals :)).  A recommendation of a good management tool would be excellent!

Finally, is there an open-source equivalent of xen-tools for Windows?  Do Linux distros require a Xen compatible kernel as well?

Many thanks,

Col