Re: [Xen-users] Unable to convert hvm to pv guest

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM, dongkyu lee <dongq.lee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> to convert hvm to pv guest, I have followed the direction( link ) in
> Xen-Users Common Questions Guide.
> It says the first step is "install kernel-xen with correct initrd"
>
> After "yum install kernel-xen" was executed, following errors were showed:
>
> WARNING: No module xen_vbd found for kernel 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5xen,
> continuing anyway

That's probably because you didn't run what I wrote. Running

mkinitrd -v --builtin=xen_vbd --preload=xenblk
initrd-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen.img 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen

(as per the link) should not give the error message about xen_vbd.
That's what I use the --builtin switch for, making mkinitrd thinks the
module is already builtin in the kernel so it wouldn't try to find it.
Xen-vbd module is needed for HVM guests using PV drivers, it's not
needed for PV guests (which uses xenblk instead)

> grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

> Even if yum result showed that installation is completed, xen-kernel  was
> not added to /boot/grub.conf.

That's why I wrote "edit /boot/grub/menu.lst so it looks like this" :D
You need to adjust menu.lst manually

> the reason I want to convert hvm to pvm is that we want to use our lagacy
> system which install os and set config  files automatically.

You should be able to use pxeboot + kickstart (or whatever method you
use) even when installing directly as PV domU, with a little effort.

--
Fajar