From: johnm@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:johnm@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:57 PM
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Nick Couchman; Russ Purinton
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Sound Driver

Nick

I have been trying to get rdp sound to work via rdesktop on xen hvm
windows
installation with no success.
It shows an rdp mixer but it always reports there is a problem with your
sound
device.
If I connect to a non-virtualized windows it works fine.

If there anything that needs to be set to get rdp sound working?

John

On Friday 07 May 2010 03:45:23 pm Nick Couchman wrote:
> The drivers included with Windows should support the various sound
cards
> that you can enable for Xen HVMs.  There's a parameter in the Xen
config
> file to turn on sound, and also to set the type of sound driver - see
the
> example config files.
>
> On a side note, in my experience, *none* of my Xen Windows VMs has
sound
> cards/drivers installed, and *all* of them support sound via RDP
without
> this functionality.
>
> -Nick

> wrote:
> > On a semi-related topic, are there any versions of it that include a
> > sound driver?  Even a dummy driver?  I don't really even need to get
it
> > to interface with a physical card in the system, and in citrix
> > deployments its no big deal, but when using Microsoft Remote
> > Desktop/Terminal services, The server requires a "functioning" sound
card
> > driver installed to make RDP audio work.   Since I can't get a
single
> > driver or even a dummy driver of some sorts to work, I am held up in
> > deploying more virtualization because I can't move my terminal
services
> > users over to the Xen system until I can make sound work for them!
I'll
> > cross my fingers there's a GPLPV developer on the list here.
> >

> > Please don't let me detract from Alain's original question though,
I'm
> > also curious to it's answer as I am also a windows on xen user.

> > Russ Purinton
> > Director of Network Operations
> >
> > Office
> >
> > 207.591.6900
> >
> > Direct:
> >
> > 207.591.6908
> >
> > Fax:
> >
> > 207.591.6919
> >
> > rpurinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > www.voipnettechnologies.com <http://www.voipnettechnologies.com/>
> >

> > ________________________________

RICHARD
> > Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 1:34 PM
> > To: Xen User-List
> > Subject: [Xen-users] GPLPV version to use
> >

> > I am using a standard Centos 5.4 setup, with
> > kernel-xen-2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 and xen 3.1.2-164.11.1.el5.
> >

> > I have just succeed in migrating an existing XP to this setup and
> > installed successfully gplpv 0.11.0.213.
> >

> > On an other 2003 VM, I am using 0.10.0.134 since several months
without
> > any problem.
> >

> > Looking at http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/, it seams there is
a lot
> > of version in that directory :
> >

> > 0.10.0.134
> >
> > 0.10.0.138
> >
> > 0.10.0.142
> >
> > 0.11.0.188
> >
> > 0.11.0.213
> >

> > Is there any known issue with the last version ? is there any
information
> > about changes between versions ? What is the recommended version ?
> >

> > Regards,
>
> --------
> This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole
> use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you,
or
> you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the
intended
> recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering
> (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are
> strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or
> otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.
If