Re: [Xen-users] what does "initrd-2.6.32.9.img" contains

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 04:40:33PM +0800, lei yang wrote:
>    Hi all
>
>    If I use nfsroot boot the xen dom0, I find it works well if not use
>    initrd-2.6.32.9.img.
>
>    what does  "initrd-2.6.32.9.img" contains?

It's the "initial ramdisk" for Linux kernel. It contains (some) driver modules
for the kernel,
and a script to load them and to mount the actual root filesystem and switch to
it.

All the distros nowadays compile drivers as modules (ie. not included in the
kernel itself),
and use the initrd image to load only the needed/required drivers at boot time.

-- Pasi