Re: [Xen-users] How to build a PV domU kernel

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:47:03PM +0800, lei yang wrote:
>    On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[1]pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>      On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:13:00AM +0800, lei yang wrote:
>      >    Hi All,
>      >
>      >    I download a xen 4.0.0, after I run "make world" I got a 2.6.33.1
>      kernel,
>      >    it should be a kernel for Dom0, my question is " how to get a domU
>      kernel
>      >    for 2.6.33.1"
>      >

>      The same kernel can be used also for domU.
>

>    a.I'm confused by this in the readme of xen4.0.0, I saw we can get domU
>    with "   KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU"" when run "make", and I
>    got two kernel one is for dom0, anther is domU, the size of dom0 is bigger
>    than domU, do you mean we can ignor this(KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0
>    linux-2.6-xenU), just use one dom0 kernel for domU?

Those options are required for building the linux-2.6.18-xen based "old"
xenlinux kernels.
If you don't specify KERNELS= at all, and only use "make world", it'll build
you a pvops kernel.

>    b. if I saw some document, they tell "the dom0 need the patch for xen "
>    eg:wget
>
> [2]http://gentoo-xen-kernel.googlecode.com/files/xen-patches-2.6.33-1.tar.bz2
>    , my question is "does domU kernel need this patch?

If you want to build a Xenlinux based domU kernel, then you need that patch.
pvops kernels don't require that patch.

See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels for more information.
That says Dom0Kernels, but it also applies for domU kernels.

You can see the two different types described there (Xenlinux and pvops).

>    c.if domU does not use that patch, and I download a kernel from
>    [3]kernel.org, which kernel config need to be opened for
>     pvops Xen domU,

You don't need a special config for upstream/kernel.org pvops based domU kernel.
You just need to enable the pvops Xen domU related options.

See: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

>    d.which kernel version is the latest one for dom0 kernel support, I go to
>    [4]http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/updates/list , I find the
>    latest patch for dom0 is xen-patches-2.6.33-1.tar.bz2, does it mean the
>    *official* latest one is 2.6.33? and how about domU,which is the
>    latest kernel version for domU, I think it may be the latest one in
>    [5]kernel.org(2.6.43-r6)

The latest Xenlinux patches are for 2.6.33, yes.
I'd recommend using 2.6.32 instead, since that's the long term supported
kernel,
and it's picked up by multiple Linux distros.

Also the latest recommended pvops based dom0 kernel is 2.6.32,
it's available in Jeremy's xen.git xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch.

See http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps for more information.

>    Sorry to ask for so many quesion, I'm new to xen

No problems.

-- Pasi