[Xen-users] interesting installation problem - interaction between drbd and xen

Hi,

I've been building up a new HA system, running Xen on DRBD devices.

Configuration this applies to:
Debian Lenny
xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-686 package

|**|drbd8-modules-2.6.26-2-686
drbd8-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-686

As I've been building the system, I ran into an interesting problem, with two symptoms:

1. running VMs would come back up after a reboot, but would hang on simple tasks

2. non-running VMs, set up for auto-start at boot, would not come up

Turns out, that after pouring through a lot of log files, it became clear what
was happening - as confirmed by a quick look in to /etc/rc2.d (DomO):

server2:/etc/rc2.d# ls
README      S16ssh            S20xend        S70drbd       S99rmnologin
S10rsyslog  S20exim4          S21xendomains  S75heartbeat  S99stop bootlogd
S12acpid    S20openhpid       S23ntp         S89cron
S12dbus     S20smartmontools  S25mdadm       S99rc.local

xendomains was trying to bring up VMs, before drbd devices were initialized -
leading to all kinds of weirdness. The domains would try to come up, get
through the boot stages, and then hang as soon as they tried to mount root and
swap.

Changing S21xendomains to S76xendomains (after both drbd and hearbeat) solved
the problem.

WHICH LEADS TO A QUESTION:

This isn't really a bug with any one piece of code - it's a bug in the
interaction, specifically in the naming/ordering of the init package.  And I
expect that this may be specific to packaging (I'm going to do more digging).
SO WHERE DO I FILE A BUG REPORT?

Miles Fidelman