Re: [Xen-users] Test - how many XEN VPS can run on my server

Ð ÐÐÐ, 24/05/2010 Ð 10:44 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha ÐÐÑÐÑ:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Shvayakov A. <a.shvayakov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I want to know how many XEN VPS can run on my server:
> > CPU: 2 x Xeon X5650  2.67GHz
> > MEMORY: 36Gb
> > HDD: Adaptec 5405Z MaxIQ (SSD Cache) RAID10 2TB
>
> > Up to 30 VPS, I observe a smooth change of parameters, but after 30 VPS
> > the  tests results are beginning to jump
>
> How did you determine that? apache benchmark results?

Yes.

I observe the apache benchmark results, rsync results, CPU%,  ioutil% in
Dom0 and DomU

Each DomU send reports to Dom0 by scp where I collect them for calculate
the average value by script.

I hope to calculate the critical number of UPU and was looking for a
point nonlinear parameter changes, but I get unstable situation

Sometime I get:
BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 61s! [sshd:769]
BUG: soft lockup - CPU#8 stuck for 61s! [swapper:0]

Kernel parameter kernel.softlockup_thresh = 60 and unavailable for
change.

Not sure but I think that locked DomU not create new reports. Because I
get improved average results under the conditions of blocking VPS. In
this case, my script uses the previously created reports to calculate.

I do not know insofar understandable my stats, see attachment

> > and  I can see that much of the
> > VPS is blocked.
>
> "r" is shown when a domU actually uses a CPU. Since you have two 6 (?)
> core CPUs, if you enabled hypterhread, it might show up to 24 domUs in
> "r" state. It's normal that other domUs will be in "b" state.
>
> > I have not much experience with XEN
> > This is normal, 30 VPS is my limit, or I have a bug?
>
> I'd start by looking at disk statistics. It's possible that you're
> running out of disk IOPS. Try "iostat -x 3" on dom0, and see if disk
> utilization is at 100%.

Yes - ioutil% is growing very rapidly and without any apparent reason

> After that, look at dom0's memory and CPU usage. Is dom0 CPU usage at
> 100%? is dom0 using swap?

Thank you for your reply, Fajar