Re: Re: [Xen-users] pfSense HVM

  • To: "Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Matej Zary <zary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 13:03:07 +0200
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 04:05:32 -0700

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 01:29 +0100, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> On 06/06/10 01:23, Matej Zary wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > looks like you have much better HW than I used - when I benched Linux HVM
> > guest on Athlon X2 1,9 GHz I got scary results (in a bad way of course) :D.
> > 90 mbit/s is not bad at all for emulated hvm guest - the questions is, how
> > much CPU power it consumes in the dom0 (qemu-dm process) and how many
> > availabe cores do you have. PV driver should solve this issue (or pci
> > passthru for the WAN NIC and PV driver for the LAN NIC). I got better
> > results is some cases with the default emulated NIC (realtek?),  but in
> > majority, the emulated e1000 was better.
> >

> > Regards
> >

> > Matej

You can try bench the throughput between wan and the pfsense (how fast
ist the pci-passthru) and the between the pfsense and another domu or
Dom0(how slow is the emulation). Iperf is neat CLI utility for this. :)

Also when benching the pfsense-domx, watch the CPU utilization in the
Dom0 (top, or better with dstat). The emulation tends to induce quite a
cpu load in the dom0 via the qemu-dm process (at least on my shoddy old
hw :) ). Emulation is really ineffective and I think that the various
emulation NIC models don't have that significant impact on the overall
speed - the "slowness" of this method lies in the nature of
emulation. :)

I attached one graph from my benchmarks - all results are in Mbit/s,
iperf TCP bench with 3 different overall frame lengths. PC was another
physical computer (same HW config) - so this is physical to virtual
bench. Just for illustration of the PV drivers impact. :)

Regards

Matej