Re: Re: [Xen-users] pfsense HVM network performance

  • To: "Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Matej Zary <zary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 01:39:00 +0200
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:41:30 -0700

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 17:45 -0500, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> Did you try recompiling the pfsense FreeBSD kernel using the XENHVM
> kernel config?  That way you'll get get PV drivers for network & disk
> I/O, which should help a lot.
>

> -Dustin
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         Hi Everyone,
>
>         Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on
>         pfsense HVM.
>
>         Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN
>         NIC, and used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at
>         90Mbp/s.
>
>         When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
>
>         When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx),
>         speed was capping at 71Mbp/s.
>
>         I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my
>         link speed is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable
>         out and in 2 or 3 times.
>
>         Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed,
>         I had to enable "device polling" in pfsense
>
>         Thanks

Should be worth the effort - in my case, I got better throughput with
bridged virtual PV NIC than with PCI passed-thru physical NIC (668
mbit/s against 534 mbit/s!). Shoddy HW (Realtek PCI NICs etc, no IOMMU
on mobo), but the point - PV makes HUGE difference (compared with pure
HVM) so it's worth the hassle. :)