[Xen-users] RE: iSCSI and LVM

  • To: "Ferenc Wagner" <wferi@xxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jonathan Tripathy" <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:12:26 +0100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:13:55 -0700

In spite of all the helpful advice here, I have decided to change my VPS plans slightly. Each node will run a max of 56 VMs, however this number would be closer to 25 I would imagine. Each node will be connected to a storage server via a dual NIC bonded gigabit ethernet connection.

The storage server will have 3 RAID10 arrays. Each RAID10 array will server 2 xen nodes (So 6 xen nodes will connect to one storage server). There will also be 4 "Hot Spare" disks. This means that there will be a max of 336 VMs per storage server, however this number would be closer to 150 I would imagine. The storage server will connect to the network via 4 Quad bonded gigabit NICs. The Raid controller in the storage server will be a LSI 9260-4I 6G.

The storage server will export 1/2 of a RAID10 array (split via LVM) via iSCSI to each xen node. The Xen node will do its own LVM splitting for each DomU. Live migration can't be done, however manually moving an entire LUN to another server is easy.

Do the above plans sound better?

Thanks