Re: [Xen-users] XCP modifying cloned vms

Good day.

I spent some time on this problem and found three separate solution:

1) Use preseed/kickstart to create new VM by automated installation
2) Configure a 'mother' VM (wich one is cloned) with script, reading data from
xenstore/pvargs and setting up system.
3) Detach vdi from cloned VM, attach it to 'master', perform configuration,
reattach back to cloned VM

After few tests I decide to use 1st method, as most puristic (new ssh keys,
clean history, access log, etc). And, with debian preseed it does not take too
much time: about 2 minutes on gigabit link to network storage.

21.06.10, 16:10, "David Heidt" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello List,
>
>  are there any best practices of how to modify cloned Linux DomUs before
>  starting them?
>
>  i.e. I have a cloned debian lenny and need logfiles truncated,
>  /etc/hosts modified and a different ip address configured.
>
>  The Main focus is to create dummy-staging-VMs for our developers by
>  snapshotting production-VMs.
>
>  There is one way of how to achieve this via filesystem access:
>  http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX117791
>  but kpartx doesn't show any mappings in my setup (XCP 0.1.1)
>

>  Any other ideas?
>
>  Best regards,
>
>  David

wBR,George.