Re: [Xen-users] blktap2 does not work

2010/6/23 Niccolò Belli <darkbasic4@xxxxxxxxx>:
> How to get blktap2 support? Is there any patch to apply to the debian
> kernel source package? Have I to compile a xen mainline kernel?

I'm not really familiar with Debian's xen packaging, but here's what I
can tell you about blktap2:
- no distro officially supports it yet
- you need support from both the userland and dom0 kernel
- some kernel versions are known to have bugs regarding blktap2. For
example, 2.6.32 + xen-patches-2.6.32-r2 doesn't properly destroy
unused blktap2 device.
- xen userland tools (and hypervisor) can be easly compiled. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0 , "tutorials" section
- kernel part is more tricky. So you try following  the tutorial route
(which requires unreleased version of Xen, plus latest pv_ops kernel).
Boris might be able to help you if you have problems there. Personally
I prefer to use released Xen 4.0.0 (source on http://xen.org/), plus
linux 2.6.34 + corresponding xen patch from
http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list

> Why doesn't debian ship with pv-grub? Is there any way to work around it?

Ask debian maintainers :)
Boris' tutorials on Ubuntu might also work on Debian.
If you use RHEL/Centos5, I can share my kernel RPM, plus use packaged
Xen 4.0 from Gitco for easy installation. Hopefully others can help
you better with Debian.

--
Fajar