Re: [Xen-users] Xen in Linux distributions

  • To: Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:59:28 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 08:01:58 -0700

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:02:37 -0700 <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>This has been a popular discussion. I think Xen in Dom0 is over hyped. We don't have ESX in the kernel. Anyway a shift in thinking is in order. If you want to use "off the shelf Linux" you can use the CentOS5x series as Dom0 (and upgrade Xen using the gitco repos) or use Suse as Dom0. I think the future is just using a Xen Distro like XCP or Xenserver. The Dom0 is a "product" as apposed to being Linux with an added package. It would have been nice to have Xen in the mainline kernel and it still may happen but I predict it will only happen when it doesn't matter anymore. Call my cynical.

>I'm probably migrating all of my CentOS/Xen 3.4 machines to XCP in the future.

>Grant McWilliams

So was XCP built of of Linux from scratch? If that is the case then the xen "product" is still a form of Linux is it not?

And I find you point with have Xen in mainline funny but true as well.

-M

XCP is based on CentOS/RHEL. It's all Linux but instead of thinking that it's some package you install ie. KVM think of XCP as a product (an OS) you install to get Xen Virtualization. You don't expect to have an rpm that will get you ESXi do you? We don't have that many Dom0's in relation to DomUs so it makes sense that you don't think of them the same way. You install XCP on all of your physical machines and then use whatever distro you want for DomU. I think virtually any Linux can be a PV DomU at this point and any x86 OS can be an HVM domU so that's not really an issue.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.