Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.4.3 - bad IO performance on drbd devices

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:46:34AM +0200, Felix Botner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> i have two servers installed with a debian/lenny based os (64bit), a
> debian/sid based kernel 2.6.32-xen-amd64 and xen 3.4.3-4. Each server has two
> drbd devices (protocol c, formatted with ext4) and is primary for one of
> them. Every drbd pair has a dedicated network interface (a bond mode 0
> interface with two 1000 Mbps cards).

<snip>

> The io performance on the connected drbd devices is significantly worse if i
> start the kernel with the xen hypervisor (with "kernel /boot/xen-3.4.3.gz").
> Without the hypervisor (but the same kernel) the systems are about 50%
> faster.

Are you measuring from dom0 or from a guest?

<snip>

> Why is there such a difference?
> Can i optimize my xend (i already added dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=2
> dom0_vcpus_pin as boot parameter with no effect)?
> Are there any known issues using XEN and bonding/drbd?
>
> Feel free to ask for more information about the system or the setup.

How much memory does your server have?
ie. how much ram do you have when you boot it baremetal without Xen.

Remember all the free memory of the host/dom0 will be used by linux pagecache..
So if you limit dom0 to 2GB, it'll have less cache than the baremetal case.

-- Pasi