Re: [Xen-users] Did anyone succeeded in installing xen 4.0.0 on Debian Lenny?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Morbid Angel <mangel@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:42:31 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:43:41 -0700

there are 4.0 pkgs in sid and sqeeze, you can use them for lenny with some deps from sid/sqeeze or recompile them...

I use the same pkgs for last ubuntu... have changed the deps for ubuntu

Am 11.08.2010 17:39, schrieb Jeff Williams:

On 11/08/2010, at 10:59 PM, Meister Schieber wrote:

2010/8/11 Adi Kriegisch <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:
> Hi!
>
>> There are not too many howtos regarding xen 4.0 on Debian lenny, so
I tried
>> them all and all failed.
> I am using Xen 4 on Lenny for quite some time. At that time no official
> Xen4 packages were available so I forward ported the Xen 3.4 debian
dir and
> patches to Xen 4.0 which worked fine.
> I'd suggest you get the source of the Xen packages from unstable and
try to
> compile them on Lenny. There are probably some dependencies you might
need
> to resolve but it should work just fine.
> 2.6.32 pvops kernels are available from backports and work just fine.

Thanks, I will try that.

I just cannot believe that there is so much trouble with xen and one
of the most common linux distributions (debian / ubuntu). The
"official" lenny-xen-packages (3.2.1) are total crap (try to get a
domu (bridged or via PCI pass thru) runnig as a router for more than 3
reboots) and the "source code howto" does not work properly either. I
really don't know, how many days I have wasted trying to get this
sh**t working. We are talking about two so called "stables" for God's
sake!

It would be absolutely fantastic if there were binary packages available
to set up a dom0 of the latest xen on debian and ubuntu. I don't know
enough about it, but are there technical issues which stop this from
happening?

Jeff

Greetz