Re: AW: [Xen-users] Did anyone succeeded in installing xen 4.0.0 on Debian Lenny?

On 11 Aug 2010, at 15:59, Meister Schieber <meisterschieber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2010/8/11 Adi Kriegisch <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi!
>
>> There are not too many howtos regarding xen 4.0 on Debian lenny, so I tried
>> them all and all failed.
> I am using Xen 4 on Lenny for quite some time. At that time no official
> Xen4 packages were available so I forward ported the Xen 3.4 debian dir and
> patches to Xen 4.0 which worked fine.
> I'd suggest you get the source of the Xen packages from unstable and try to
> compile them on Lenny. There are probably some dependencies you might need
> to resolve but it should work just fine.
> 2.6.32 pvops kernels are available from backports and work just fine.

Thanks, I will try that.

I just cannot believe that there is so much trouble with xen and one of the most common linux distributions (debian / ubuntu). The "official" lenny-xen-packages (3.2.1) are total crap (try to get a domu (bridged or via PCI pass thru) runnig as a router for more than 3 reboots) and the "source code howto" does not work properly either. I really don't know, how many days I have wasted trying to get this sh**t working. We are talking about two so called "stables" for God's sake!

If you are so upset about this, maybe you should help in the development.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Manfred MÃller