[Xen-users] noob questions

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dingos Atemibaby <dingosatemibaby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 06:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 06:59:01 -0700

   Greetings fellow xeners,

        First of all I hope I'm in the right spot to ask this question.  If not please let me know.  :)
Ok..  I have spent a good deal of time looking at forum responses, the xen users's manual and various FAQ about xen so I feel like it might be ok to ask a few questions.  It may be I'm missing the forest for the trees but that happens when delving into new software sometimes.
1)  How do I restore a VM from an image file (*.img) and an xml file?  here's what I'm trying to do:  I have a Xen VM running.  I shutdown the VM and use  dd   to make a copy of the image.  I then use virsh dumpxml to get a copy of the configuration file.  I want to be able to move the *.img file (along with the xml file) to another machine and restart the VM.  I've been successful making a clone (virt-clone and 'save') of the VM and have been able to 'restore' the cloned VM from a snapshot.  But I haven't found out how to do it with the original *.img file.   I have been running restorecon on these files on the new machine.  Am I smashing my head on the ground looking for deeper meaning?
   Maybe I'm just using the wrong search words or something... but I've been trying for days to find this info.  Can it be done?  Or am I missing the Zen of  Xen?
Many thanks.

Cletus.