RE: [Xen-users] Re: Is there a motherboard with paralell port and VT-d virtualization?

From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pasi Kärkkäinen
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 13:23
To: Juan Pablo Lopez Bergero
Cc: Michael Lueck; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Is there a motherboard with paralell port and
VT-d virtualization?

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 12:51:26PM -0300, Juan Pablo Lopez Bergero wrote:
>    On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[1]pasik@xxxxxx>
wrote:

>      On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 05:02:49PM -0400, Michael Lueck wrote:
>      > Juan Pablo Lopez Bergero wrote:
>      >> I need a paralell port and rs232 also.
>      >
>      > I use a system with this Intel board in it:
>      >
>      > "Intel Desktop Board DG33BU"
>      >

[2]http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dg33bu/dg33bu-overview
.htm
>      >
>      > The latest flash BIOS update adds VT-d support, has a parallel,
>      serial, and even floppy connector.
>      >
>      > I have an Intel Core2 Duo Processor E8500 (6M Cache, 3.16 GHz, 1333
>      MHz FSB) chip in it. Works quite nicely.
>      >

>      Note that parallel port is NOT a PCI device, so you cannot use Xen
PCI
>      passthru
>      (IOMMU/VT-d or not) to passthru it to a guest VM.
>
>      You need some other form of "parallel port passthru" if you need to
use
>      it in the VM.
>      -- Pasi
>

>    There is a sarial port emulation on the kernel xen options. Is there
the
>    same for paralell?

I don't know.

Qemu-dm has serial support for Xen HVM guests, but I don't know about
parallel/lpt.

-- Pasi

        In case anyone else stumbles across this thread and can offer
advice:  Even if qemu-dm had parallel/lpt support, it would have to be full
pass-through for what the OP and I need (software key), not emulation.
        Dustin