Re: [Xen-users] running a hypervisor inside a domU guest?

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 04:58:45PM -0700, David Grundy wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I am not sure if the question I am asking makes sense but I am trying to set
> up a testbed for provisioning customized vms and the only machines that I
> have root access to are vms.  What I am wondering... is there any way to
> have a domU running as a dom0 so that any vm creating and destroy can be
> done inside of a vm.  I tried to naively install xen and xen-libs with yum
> and my vm came back up after a reboot, but I can't seem to get xend running
> on it.  I have tried to search for examples of this but have come up empty.
> Is this even possible?

What can be done is running Xen PVM inside Xen HVM. For that, you set up
a domain with Xen HVM, running a suitable Linux distro. Then, inside
that HVM domain, you can install Xen and create PVM domains. I tested
that for fun & giggles with IIRC Xen 3.1 and it does work. Be warned,
however, that the PVM domains will probably be very slow.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison