Re: [Xen-users] High availability Xen with bonding

On Sunday 17 October 2010 07:19:26 Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi both,
>
> I had very good success after some pulling-hairs.
> I run lacp + vlan trunking.
> Key assumptions:
> - All device setup (eth, bond, bridges) is done via normal OS config,
> because that is more reliable.
> - All libvirt stuff is disabled, it just limits Xen's possibilities to
> "home user level" by assuming you'd only have one bridge.
> (chkconfig  XXX off ...)
> - No messing with ARP is wanted
> - You have switches current enough to do "real" LACP
>

> There's a very good (and I think the only working one) manual in the
> Oracle VM wiki at
> http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Oracle+VM+Server+Configuration-+bonded+and+trun
> ked+network+interfaces
>
> I myself had followed one manual from redhat, which left off somewhere
> in the middle.
> It's called "Xen_Networking.pdf" by Mark Nielsen. It's a good intro,
> but only covers 50% of a good setup.
>
> Notes:
> a) if you look not just at link aggregation but a VLAN-heavy
> environment there might be a point (>128 VLANs) where the number of
> virtual bridges might become an issue. Then wait for OpenVswitch to
> mature or email xen-devel and ask for the status of "vnetd". (just
> kidding)
> b) using ethernet (n ethernet links into bond0) and infiniband (2
> infiniband hca ports into bond1) bonding on the same host is more
> tricky. it seems the ethernet bonding driver tries to cover infiniband
> too. The setup is completely undocumented. It is possible, but when I
> tried it just didn't pass any more traffic.
> For the setup check the following thread in HP itrc:
> http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=10944762
> 7+1287292335750+28353475&threadId=1445752 c) added speed is only guaranteed
> for multiple connections. if you do it via bonding, you need a lacp
> algorithm in your switch that will hash based on the ip destination ports,
> not just mac address or ip address. current cisco gear can do that. for
> plain iscsi your path grouping would decide if you see loadbalancing with
> multiple iSCSI lans.
>

> Hope you get it to work!
>

> Florian
>
> 2010/10/16 Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Friday 15 October 2010 13:44:42 Eric van Blokland wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> A few days back I decided to give Ethernet port bonding in Xen another
> >> try. I've never been able to get it to work properly and after a short
> >> search I found the network-bridge-bonding script shipped with CentOS-5
> >> probably wasn't going to solve my problems. Instead of searching for a
> >> tailored
>
> [...]
>
> > curious to see your progress in this. Up till now I tackled network
> > redundancy with multipathing, not with bonding. However, this does not
> > provide added speed, though theoretically it should. So I recently
> [...]

I have no VLAN-ning, no LACP, running across different switches but I do have
at least two network bridges. Don't know if Eric's setup is similar, but this
seems so basic to me that it *should* work without any special pitfalls. But
ask me again in a week ;-)

B.